Everybody loves a good scare on Halloween, but when it comes to safety there are some things that parents should know and share with their kids before the big night.
- Cross the street at corners that have traffic lights or crosswalks.
- Make sure to look both ways more than once.
- Don’t be distracted looking at a cell phone while crossing.
- Make sure that drivers have seen you and gestured you to cross before stepping off the sidewalk.
- Always stay on sidewalks or paths.
- Never cross between parked cars and make sure to look for cars that are backing up or turning around because they may not see you.
Trick or Treat With an Adult-
- All children under the age of 12 should not go trick or treating without adult supervision. If you have kids older than this and are going out without you, make sure they are traveling with a group in a well-lit and familiar area.
Keeping Costumes Safe but Fun-
- Remember lighter colors are easier to spot as opposed to the darker ones.
- Using face paint and makeup is sometimes easier for kids to wear instead of masks. Decorate costumes and trick or treat bags with reflective tape or stickers.
- Having your kids carry a glow stick or flashlight makes it easier not only for you to spot them but drivers as well.
- Make sure that their costume fits properly so they don’t trip and fall.
Driving Tips for Halloween Night-
- Make sure to slow down in residential areas.
- Take extra time to look for kids when going through intersections.
- Exit and enter slowly into driveways.
- Put your phone down!
- The most popular trick or treating times are from 5:30 pm- 9:30 pm so be on alert when you’re in the car.
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN FROM THE WEST REALTY TEAM!